The Florida Page – May 2012
MIAMI April 18, 2012. From right: Florida’s Consul-General Kevin McGurgan, 1988 Olympic Champion British boxer Lennox Lewis and Roy Yates President of the South Florida Royal Society of St George. One hundred British Embassies around the world celebrated the 100 Days Countdown to the London Olympics with various flamboyant events in cities from Kuala Lumpur to Caracas to New York to Istanbul. We did our country proud here in Florida too. Miami’s British Consulate-General staff (305) 400-6400 organised a patriotic event: Lennox Lewis and the Consul-General led 100 cyclists, primarily local British residents , along South Beach, accompanied by a British-flagged Mini Cooper and a red Double Decker London Bus. Lennox, the Consul and the Mayor of Miami Beach gave pre-ride speeches from the topdeck, where I was with others, waving our UK flags with gusto at bemused tourists below. Lennox Lewis has a home in Miami and still trains at the famous Fifth Street Gym where Mohammed Ali first honed his talents. Plaudits to our Consular staff for a spectacular public British event – hopefully they will do more. For more information: Olympics official website www.london2012.com Photo Credit: www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk
• ORLANDO Disney Soccer Academy, a unique camp coaching experience offers YOUR rising soccer offspring ages 6-18 a chance to play and learn alongside current stars. The four day camps run from June 18-28 and Disney has brought over English Premier League stars Craig Bellamy, (Liverpool, Manchester City, Celtic, Blackburn Rovers), Paul Robinson (England, Tottenham, Blackburn Rovers) and Aaron Hughes (Northern Ireland Captain, Fulham) especially to interact with and teach camp participants. For details and to pre-register Call Tina at Disney Soccer Academy on (407) 938-3441.
• ARE YOU A BRITISH BUSINESS-OWNER on an E2 visa in Florida ? Orlando-based Zoe Adams, via her organization E2 Visa Reform, has been working since 2007 to change the laws on the E2 visa. (To understand their goals, see my article in this column November 2011 and add your voice by visiting their website www.e2visareform.org). Now Zoe would like to get an accurate count of E2 businesses in Florida. She told me, “We have 208 such businesses on our list to date, with an initial investment of $59,650,886. In 2011 it was $172,313,539 and $200,801,216 so far in 2012. These British owners employ 2,951 people, mainly Americans. Impressive figures, which makes a difference when we speak to politicians who can help us effect reform.” To add more influence, she now wants to create an E2 directory and adds “If you’re travelling and wanted to look up other E2 Visa holders in Florida, you could check it out. It is always nice for expats to support each other by maybe eating at an E2 restaurant or stay at an E2 Bed and Breakfast or just use a service from a fellow E2er. It is amazing to see the range of businesses we all run. “So UJ readers who are E2 business owners, email your Name, phone and business name and address to: email@example.com
• SATURDAY JUNE 2, 2012 … A STUNNING BRITISH SOIREE: To Celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, the Broward British-American Chamber of Commerce presents an evening Gala at a private, British-owned intra-coastal mansion in Fort Lauderdale. Luxury Catered food, Open Bar, Dancing, Live Entertainment, special events and door prizes. Dress Code: Black tie formal. $135 per head, BACC Members $115. Email for your invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org Include your name and phone number. On subject line put: Jubilee Gala June 2.
• PINK FLOYD FANS! June 15 in Ft Lauderdale and June 16 Orlando. Roger Waters, (www.rogerwaters.com) the co-founder of the legendary British band, is bringing back the historic production of The Wall. His aural and visual masterpiece will be performed in its entirety featuring a full band and state-of-the-art production. Tickets and information www.livenation.com
• COLUMN SUBMISSIONS: Just opened a British business in the last three months? Have a future British event? Just launched a new British club? Send details (by email only) for possible publication on this page to email@example.com. Your name, city, daytime and phone necessary. On subject line put : UJ Florida column.